Date(s) - March 16, 2019
8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Brainard Lake Winter Lot
Join Jessica Newton & Tinelle Louis on a 5+ mile snow shoe trek in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area starting from the Brainard Gateway Trail head parking lot, ~10, 060 feet. We’ll head west up the closed Brainard Lake Road to Brainard Lake at ~10,400 feet. For the more adventurous, there is the Brainard Lake Snow ShoeTrail heading west and south of Red Rock Lake to Brainard Lake. After a 30 minute lunch break we’ll head back to the Brainard Gateway trail head parking lot by way of the Brainard Lake Road.
Here are the people count limitations for the Brainard Lake Recreation Area snow shoe trek. The group size limit on the Brainard Lake Snow ShoeTrail is 12 people. As to snow shoeing on the closed Brainard Lake Road, let’s keep the number of people down to 26 people to make the group more manageable.
The US Forest Service is very strict with group size on the forest trails in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area. Remember group sizes are limited to 12 people on the trails with the exception of the Lefthand Reservoir Road/trail and the Brainard Lake Road.
Expect winter temperatures ranging from 15 to 30 degrees ‘F’ with late morning wind gusts.
Bring along the 10+ hike essentials:
1. Navigation: Map and compass.
2. Sun protection: Sunscreen, SPF lip balm, sunglasses or ski goggles.
3. Wind/rain/snow resistant jacket/pants, synthetic clothing layers, warm hat, hand warmers and pair of cold weather gloves.
4. Illumination: Flashlight or headlamp, plus spare batteries and bulbs or a backup device.
5. First-aid supplies.
6. Fire: Two butane or waterproof matches. (optional)
7. Medium to heavy thermo inner wear.
8. Nutrition: High calorie food and emergency food.
9. Hydration: 1-1/2 quarts of water (warm) for a day trek.
10. Emergency shelter: tarp, emergency blanket or even a trash bag.
11. Cold weather hiking/trekking shoes, toe warmers, gaiters and trekking poles (optional)
If you do not have snow shoes and trekking poles, you can rent from R.E.I., Christy Sports or Breeze Ski Rentals.
Have good snow tires/all-season tires on a front wheel drive vehicle or a SUV for the last 3-4 mile drive to the Brainard Gateway parking lot.
If you are driving directly to the Brainard Gateway trailhead, meet us at 8:00 AM. Allow ~2 hour drive time from central Denver. Here is the google map of the Brainard Gateway trail head: https://goo.gl/maps/RHVfHiCKH1J2
Meet at the Brainard Gateway winter lot by the warming hut and Brainard Gateway sign at 8AM. We will depart at ~8:15AM to snow shoe to Brainard Lake.
If you need to car pool to the Brainard Gateway trail from the Westminster US 36 and Church Ranch RTD Park & Ride next to the Petsmart in Walnut Creek shopping area, here is the google map to the park & ride at 10452 Town Center Dr, Westminster, CO 80021 ===> https://goo.gl/maps/QsBBNgvhdxQ2
Meet us at the US 36 and Church Ranch RTD park & ride at 6:30AM, east and north of the Petsmart and west of highway 36. Allow ~1-1/2 hours to reach the Brainard Gateway trail parking lot from the park & ride in Westminster.
For questions email: [masked]
or text Jess
Points of contact: